Local Community Policy
It is a commitment of the Amathus Beach Hotel to ensure attention is given to our operation’ impact on the local residential and business community.
We are working to ensure that our hotel has positive social and economic effect, and wherever possible minimize or eliminate instances of negative impact. For this reason, and additional to current sustainability initiatives, the Hotel is committed to be part of the Circular Hotels Standard developed by the Cyprus Employers and Industrialists Federation (OEB).
Our Commitment / Goals Towards the Local Community:
Integration: Respect, support and promote culture, regulations and preservation of the local environment.
Certification: The “Travelife Gold” and the “Investors In People”-I.I.P.- certifications are our main goals for the upcoming year, to
to satisfy broader sustainability criteria, including the social-economic impacts and staff welfare,
Purchasing: Our goals are:
• To seek and promote the purchase of local products to strengthen the economic and social development of the community, ensuring that quality of our product or commercial, feasibility is not compromised.
• Ensure the mutual terms agreed with all suppliers are respected, thus awarding the hotel with a great buyer reputation and ensures good relations with our suppliers.
The company prioritizes the recruitment of local staff, encouraging the development of the local society. We believe this policy helps preserve the vital community industry that forms part of our unique hospitality product in Cyprus, while the cultural diversity of our work is also vital. We recognize the long-term importance of residents staying with the community / company, rather than having to seek employment elsewhere. This way, wages will be spent locally, providing secondary economic benefit to other businesses within the community.
Local Culture & Tradition: the hotel regularly promotes local traditions and culture to its multinational clientele to ensure awareness and respect. In collaboration with the Department of Antiquities of Cyprus, we protect archaeological monuments that are within our premises as well as around the area of Amathus, with the latest conservation works of Amathus Tomb No 2 to be visitable as of 2022.
Our “Welfare Fund Committee” organizes excursions to traditional villages, wineries, religious venues and archeological monuments, for our staff members. Our guest relations executives inform, guide and book activities and excursions showcasing traditional crafting, local art, Cypriot cuisine and much more.
Daily, during our breakfast buffet, Cypriot products are highlighted on a separate section, with our staff being available to explain to our guests the recipes and history of Cypriot delicacies. During the Cypriot theme night, organized minimum once a week, traditional recipes as well as dances and products are the main attraction of the week for everyone.
Donation & Charity:
It is a policy of the Amathus Beach Hotel that whenever items such as furniture, tableware or linen are no longer suitable for use within the hotel, to be offered to local organizations that might be useful for them (schools, local hospitals, care homes etc.)
The company supports local charities and the local community in many ways, by the provision of in-kind support such as auction prizes, food etc. The hotel also frequently considers sponsorships of local sports teams and provision of meeting areas at subsidized or complimentary basis for local charities.
Click here to read Muskita Hotels Corporate Social Responsibility report
• Establish the Travelife, IIP and Circular Hotels certifications.
• Seek opportunities to support the local community and organizations.
• Respect, Promote and Protect archaeological monuments around the Amathunta archaeological area as well as Cyprus heritage sites in general.
• Continue searching for local talent to join our team, empowering the Cypriot hospitality towards our guests.
• Encourage / help local suppliers improve their product based on our high-quality standards.
Human Resources Policy
We respect the fundamental human rights of everyone. We believe our employees are our most important asset. We ensure employees are treated fairly and not discriminated against irrespective of religion, belief, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, culture, or disability.
The Management of Amathus Beach Hotel, in accordance with the Basic Principles, is committed to fulfilling the following policies:
Certification: To satisfy broader human resource management criteria, we have initiated the compliance procedure with Investors in People standard, it is estimated to become certified in 2023 and maintained for the foreseeable future. The Hotel is also in the process to recertify the Travelife award standard, in 2022.
Treatment: Guarantee fair and decent treatment, which respects diverse cultural sensitivities. This treatment does not allow discrimination due to nationality, social group, age, gender, disability, or religion, excluding any type of abuse or harassment and establishing the necessary health and safety conditions in the workplace.
Employment: There is in place recruitment and selection procedures that guarantee equal opportunities, evaluating the candidates with clear criteria in order to identify the ideal skills for the job, as well as ensuring strict compliance with the current legislation relating to recruitment and employment.
Training & Development: Encouragement of professional employee development, within a framework of staff performance, aligned with the company’s objectives, through goals and transparent processes and, where necessary, setting up training programs that function as a key element for ongoing improvement.
Protection of Rights aside from safeguarding the rights of our employees, the hotel management believes we have an obligation to contribute to a just and fair society. We respect the rights of children and demonstrate through training and briefing of our staff and clients the implementation of child-related legislation and the support of organizations, institutions, and events which promote the protection of children’s rights and all forms of exploitation.
Communication: We are committed to utilizing the Facebook closed group page for Muskita hotels, the Staff Bravo – staff rewarding platform, display screens in staff restaurants, and SMS/social media messaging as our various communication forums for all staff who work at the hotel to keep them updated with the hotel’s news, policies and obligations to enable team bonding in a paper-free, dynamic environment.
Working relations: The right to association and trade union affiliation and the establishment of an ongoing relationship of dialogue and cooperation with trade unions and their representatives, while protecting the company’s vision.
Additionally, employees are provided with uniforms, meals, and transport where applicable.
Human Resources Manager
It is the shared commitment of the management and owners of the Amathus Beach Hotel to ensure optimal environmental management in its operation.
We are committed to sustainability policies and the implementation of proactive measures to help protect the environment for future generations. We recognize that as a hotel our activities have an impact on the environment. We strive to minimize any detrimental effects as a result of our business. By working together, we can contribute in making a cleaner and safer environment and ensure environmental issues remain a focal point and receive proper attention.
Through our environmental policy we will:
- Comply with relevant environmental legislation and take a proactive approach to future requirements and obligations
- Seek to conserve natural resources through the responsible use of energy, water and materials but also maintaining the quality of service expected by our guests
- Train our staff on our environmental commitments, so that they understand the role they play in delivering our objectives and targets
- Invite our guests to support our efforts to reduce our environmental impact
- Monitor performance and aim for continued improvement by reducing re-using, and recycling in areas such as energy consumption, reduction of waste materials and water consumption
- Work with suppliers who have compatible policies for managing their impact on the environment
OUR OBJECTIVES IN DETAIL:
Electricity Supply and Management:
Operationally, the hotel will undertake the following:
- Ensure that all heavy and light equipment purchased, are rated as energy efficient.
- Ensure that all staff are trained as appropriate in energy conservation.
Electricity saving initiatives
Throughout the operation the Amathus Beach hotel will ENSURE optimal energy efficiencies by undertaking the following:
- Low energy light bulbs or led lights are used in all public areas’ accommodations and back of the house areas.
- Lights in public rest rooms, corridors, basements and staff areas will be equipped with low energy consumption lighting or infrared motion sensors.
- All accommodation features flat screen TV’s with low standby consumption and low energy refrigerators are in place.
Water Supply and Management:
Amathus is the first hotel and one of the very few in Southern Europe with an Advance Central Geo-Exchange and Head Recovery System that exploits the sea water. Even in the hottest summer period where the ambient air temperature reached 45 the sea water flows to the head pumps on temperatures to 22-26.
The geo exchange air-conditioning system is combined with a head recovery, producing free hot water during summer. Moreover, it is further combined with a reverse osmosis desalination plant, providing potable water for the hotel, enough to cover all needs including guests’ rooms, swimming pools, inhouse usage and the watering of 4000m2 of gardens.
A sophisticated variable flow system feet’s the heat pumps with sea water, currying the hotel heat loads to the sea, thereby reducing the energy required for cooling by approximately 40% compared to typical air-cooled systems while the energy required for water heating is reduced by an average of 70%. The existing oil burners are only used as a backup heating system.
This combined system is electronically controlled, maximizing energy efficiency compared to conventional air-conditioning systems and oil burners. There are no external units, no noise, while it provides low maintenance and long-term high efficiency. The total energy saving corresponds to approximately 1200 tons of reduced Co2 emissions annually.
The hotel has and will continue, without compromising guest comfort or health and Safety, further in corporate water saving devices and procedures to minimize overall water consumption.
General water saving initiatives:
All accommodation caps and showers are equipped with water flow restriction as follows:
- 5 Liters / minute for bedroom tabs
- 4 Liters per minute for bedroom shower
- 6 Liters / minute for public toilet tabs
- All toilets are fitted with dual flashes.
The hotel will minimize solid waste production in all areas of the hotel and encourage the customers to join the recycling program. Specifically, it will:
- Minimize the use of paper and plastic for customers
- Become a Less-paper hotel in all operational procedures
- Continue recycling paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, cooking oil, toner cartridges, fluorescent tube and batteries.
- Seek for opportunities to begin a food waste composting unit.
Chemical use: Wherever possible, the hotel will avoid the use of chemicals. It will ensure safe disposal of all chemicals that are in use.
Policy Statement for Child Protection 2022-2025
It is the commitment of Amathus Beach Hotel to safeguard the welfare of all children and young people, by a commitment to practices that protect them.
We Recognize that:
- the welfare of all children/young persons, is paramount
- all children, regardless of age, disability, gender, racial heritage, religious belief, sexual orientation, or identity, have the right to equal protection from all types of harm or abuse
- it is unacceptable for a child or young person to experience abuse of any kind
- working in partnership with children, young people, their parents, caregivers, and their agencies is essential in promoting young people’s welfare. This will include working with schools, school officials, police establishments and governments in Cyprus and in their home countries, if necessary.
The purpose of the policy:
- To provide protection for the children and young people who receive services at the hotel, including the children of adults we work with.
- To provide staff with guidance on procedures they should adopt in the event that they suspect a child or young person may be experiencing, or be at risk of, harm to themselves or from others.
- This policy applies to all staff, including senior managers, contractors, or anyone working on behalf of the hotel.
We will seek to safeguard children and young people by:
- valuing them, listening to and respecting them.
- adopting child protection guidelines through procedures and a code of conduct for staff
- recruiting staff safely, ensuring all necessary checks are made.
- sharing information about child protection and good practice with children, parents & staff.
- sharing information about concerns with agencies who need to know and involving parents and children appropriately.
- providing effective management for staff through supervision, support, and training.Agencies for the Protection of Children in Cyprus
Social Welfare Services
PO Box 40184 Social Welfare Services – Central Offices
Address: 63, Prodromou, 1468, Lefkosia, Cyprus
Telephone: +357 22406600, Fax: +357 22667907
Email: [email protected]
We are committed to reviewing our policy and good practice regularly.
Click here to read our sustainability report.
Travelife, Gold Certified for Accomodation Sustainability